Top 5 tips for parents about Internet safety, security and screen time:
- Talk to your kids (early and often) to raise awareness, stay involved and identify potential issues while they are still small.
- Educate yourself and your kids on privacy, sharing, passwords and general security.
- Talk to your kids about addiction, cyberbullying, sexting and self esteem before a potential incident occurs
- Create a family plan together with your kids and agree on limits around usage including how long, where and when are appropriate.
- Be a good role model, aim for less than 2 hours a day in recreational screen time and 60 minutes a day in physical activities
5 simple rules to teach your kids:
- If you wouldn’t do it face to face, don’t do it online
- Once it’s online, you can’t delete it
- Beware of random strangers bearing gifts
- Too much of a good thing can be bad for you
- Lock your online world like you lock your house or computer